Saturday, December 29, 2007

Saturday December 29, 2007 is the date that this post records. Two days to go when earth will again complete its customary journey round its beloved sun. It’s surprising how someone else’s attraction, infatuation or loving journey stimulates all and every one of us in some way or the other. There wouldn’t be anyone who can claim not to have been impacted by their love story. Mine has been too.

Time (simply) flies by as seasons change their attire. And with it I too add another chapter to my life with words written in coloured pencils. Sometimes these words speak with thunder and I become aware of my somnolent senses and sometimes these words have soporific influence upon me helping me sleep with unrealised dreams .... Sometimes I erase them from pages of my indolent life and sometimes I add a few words to glorify ....

I have always believed in living life the way I want. Imitation is the best form of flattery and I somehow never wanted to flatter anyone by imitating them. When I look back at my life twenty years down the road, I hope I look back with pride for having lived it the way I wanted … for taking my own decisions …. for growing every second my own way … for living every dream that I dreamt of … for a journey that was mine, influenced by me and my circumstances .... (every year it is a persistent endeavor to realise this latent desire).

2007 had so many scenes in this artful play of life interwoven with brilliant contrasts … the contrasts that made me sit back and admire the beauty of life … contrasts that sometimes made me laugh with its facetious remarks …. contrasts that sometimes had the impact of a choir singing a complicated and elaborate psalm …. and contrasts that sometimes whacked me with its indignation. I cogitate upon the discoveries that I have made and sometimes exult with sheer joy in the prospect of a new season or in the reprisal of a winter that will surely pass away.

2007 also taught me new ways to living alone. Taught me the distinction between lonely and alone and how the way I feel is what translates into phrases that my life writes. Such a practice as keeping a smile on the face even in the light of cold, prosaic or matter of fact circumstances that time presents elevates poignant mind from the shackles of peccant Angles to the sacerdotal hymns of Vedas.

It is difficult to paint on a canvas scattered with colours that hasn't come from your own brush. For those who endeavors to build something out of it and succeeds, there is a different dawn that awaits them. Those who at least try even without succeeding, there is a different horizon that is drawn on that canvas and for those who never tried, the colours will read and behave in the same fashion and manner that the canvas dictates. Lessons learnt in managing expectations of one’s ownself and the loved ones is something that I will cherish along with the skills of saying ‘no’ the right way.

Overall as with other years, 2007 brought the same unexpected successes and failures. Neither of them have made me learn to be more excited than I am as it is with life nor have they made me learn to be disappointed and loose faith in the same magic that is called life.

Failure that awaith me
Failed me again -

Awaith the success
Success never came...

Both success and failure in its dualism never had a cognitive impact on my senses. That is perhaps why I am never overjoyed or depressed … perhaps because of the realization that both failures and successes are cyclical in their existence and come what may I can never control the results of the events. What I can do is try and I hope I continue to do that. Belief in life is different from belief in destiny. Destiny is nothing if I don’t give it a try.

Destiny … that’s not life
In every semblance of doubt that bores
A yes or perhaps a no …. But then
For every wrong, would life have made it right
Even without that one single try
Would it still be destined if I had not
Given it an honest try.

I am sure 2008 will be as uncertain and as unpredictable as all these years have been in the past. And I wish it brings with it a list of hopes that will continue to mark my being. Hope that 2008 is another chapter like all of the 26 previous ones that will help me become more aware of my own existence.

I also hope that 2008 makes you all believe in life … let you dream and promise endeavors that will help you realise those dream. Have a great year end and a fantastic new year.

16 comments:

Annie Wicking said...

Alok,
You are never truly alone. While you have your thoughts and dreams.
While the birds sing and fly on their wings over your head.

Here on the net lonely souls reach out to one another.

A New Year and a new promise bring with it new thoughts and new bird songs for your beating heart to hear.

Best wishes, my dear amazing internet friend,

Annie,

Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

Alok,

Beautiful are the words you write and in recogizing constant change you are in many ways far a head of the worlds population.
We all busy ourselves with things and wish everyday for new things, but how innocent and yet mature to acknowledge what life truly is...a blessing.

I recently made a mistake in life and like everyone else am paying for that mistake by losing someone I thought was close to me, but life is a live and learn process. I do wish you the best for the coming new year. I think if you take the same steps you are taking now, life can only bring good things. Be well Alok and remember as you honor those around you, do not forget to honor yourself as well.


soft love,
Tara

Priya said...

Destiny is a journey where we search the unknown things. Hope New Year brings you all the success and dreams with joy and happiness.

Janice Thomson said...

I enjoyed reading these honest and wonderful reflections on the past year. Annie is right, as long as a bird twitters or flies overhead, as long as a leaf whispers softly in the dawn, you are not alone. Nor are you alone on the internet for your words amaze, cajole, sadden and take us deep into our own minds and we look forward to our visits with anticipation. It has been a pleasure to get to know a wee bit about you through your amazing poetry - I look forward to visiting for the next year. Best wishes for 2008 my friend.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

wonderful way to leave the year! See you next year. :)

aria said...

Nice post to round off 2007. Looking forward to more amazing poetry in the following years. Have a wonderful New Year.
Best,

gulnaz said...

wow what a lovely post, i am going to read it again. you have a wonderful attitude dude!
happy new year to you too!!!
btw are you on facebook? i am.

Alok said...

Annie [Annie Wicking and Loman Austen ]: thanks so much ... as I said I have learnt the distinction that alone doesnt tantamount to being lonely ... thats one of the biggest lessons of 2007 ... and yes net has become a part of me now ... btw i loved the word amazing :) thnx my friend

--------------------------------------

Tara[Inside our hands, outside our hearts]: thank u so much for ur kindness ... as u said we all need to know how to honour ourselves ... things will automatically fall in place .... things tht look bad in the present .... in retrospect looks quite okie ... as if whatever happened was for good ... life is indeed a live and learn process ... thanks again

---------------------------------------

Priya: True but I will still give preference to karma to drive my destiny ... thank u as always

--------------------------------------

Janice: It has been a pleasure to know u ... in true sense of the term .. u continue to inspire me ... thank u for ur kindness my friend

--------------------------------------

Andrew: I am still there for another two days :) hope to see u before the year ends .. thank u as always

--------------------------------------

Aria: I have a smile on my face everytime u visit me .. I just hope u write more often .... thank u as always

--------------------------------------

Gulnaz: thank u .... thank u (for reading again) :) most kind ... I had recently set up an account on facebook ... I will try and search for u :)


I hope all of u have a blast during this new year eve and I also hope that u guys have a fantastic new year

Thank u all

Alok

Manimala said...

happy new year!

Jeevan said...

I wish you too to live the way life u wants always. May it be a wonderful year and your hopes to continue buddy. Take care.

gP said...

Alok, when we look back its just a year. When we live it, its more than any book can justify. I loved to read your experience. Lives are always rich of pleasure and pain. But friends and loved ones make it a journey to remember.

Happy New Year brother.

annie said...

ur mail id...need to send new yr wishes to blogger frds.

Nimmy said...

hey alok,

happy new year....loved this post of yours. am able to relate to it....reminds me of the thoughts that have been criss-crossing my own mind for some years now....what's life without its ups and downs??? :)
take care
nimmy

kalai said...

iam sure dat dis year will fulfil all ur wishes & dreams buddy... so keep smiling.. take care.. dont think abot lonely...

Alok said...

Thank you guys for dropping by ... Really appreciated


Alok

human being said...

very strange...

i really liked to read something by you... and you didn't post any thing new... so i decided to read one of the older ones...

PERSPECTIVE... this lable got me... and then this post...

it really resonates with my mood since just in a few days our new year starts... and my mind is spring-cleaning fast and furious!

to be affected by someone else's journey...

contrasts that make you admire life...

being alone vs. lonliness...

the cycles of failure and success...

wow... losts of sparkling insights...

i also loved what you wrote about imitation being the best form of flattery....
fabulous!

really really enjoyed my visit...
i take all these sparklies with me as my new year gift...

thanks, Alok!

namaste!