Sunday, July 8, 2007

Matter of convinience

In the new arrival section of a book store that I visited recently, I saw compilations of Shakespear and Elliot. The authors' sections also had similar volumes. In the Jane Austen's section I found five books written by her costing HK $ 80 a piece and then there was a compilation of all the five novels costing HK $ 299. Needless to say one would buy a compilation rather than those individual books.

I distinctly remember the hundreds of book stalls in college street in Calcutta that I frequently used to visit during my university days. I used to pick up books randomly. My decision used to be based on the impression that I bought from the cover. Authors mattered only when I wanted to read one written by them. And on most of the occassions .... all that mattered was what I felt about the book by what was written at the back cover. I am not as voracious a reader as I used to be ....... but I haven't changed the impression of picking up a book when I happen to visit a store.

What makes a book ...... It's not only what's printed inside. To me the cover, the pictures ..... the author's dedication, his/ her introduction, the preface .... the back cover .... the copyright inscriptions, the publisher's trademark ....... all contributes to an experience that's called a book. And thorugh many emotions that a book carries itself to the end, I live a different life, till such time that the book's last page is turned over. The next book is always a new life ... a new experience. Ofcourse compilations are matters of convinience. Ofcourse it's a modern day thing. Ofcourse it reduces the cost of printing and hence makes books more affordable. Ofcourse ...... Ofcourse .....

2 comments:

Keshi said...

tnxx for this book review Alok.

Keshi.

Alok said...

hay thanx keshi ....