Sunday, November 25, 2007

It has been a while
With abundance of distraction
Concentration hasn’t been wild.

Give me a moment
Let me complete chores
And my unfinished task.

One of the hot words these days is work-life balance (one of those management coined terms). It wasn’t very long ago that I wrote as comment to one of my post that writing and reading is becoming increasingly difficult with the pressures of work. That got me thinking to this whole concept of work-life balance and how patronizing it is to life itself.

Everything that we do is part of life. So how can work-life be different from life itself? Isn’t working a part of life? Isn’t it as integral to our existence as everything else? Just because we have fun doing something else, does it mean fun is life and because work ensures that we compromise our time to “fun” mean work is external to life?

This whole attitude also gives rise to negativism towards work. I have so often read film star saying that it is fun to be paid for doing something that you love. This statement makes all other clerical and back office job seem deglamorised and abhorrent. Why can’t they simply say they get paid for doing what they do the best? As an accountant my skills are specialized. I can’t just go ahead and do something else that others do the best. Finance is best that I can do and that’s how I earn my livelihood. It is also my earnest belief that we all find means of earning from what we know how to do best. And if we do that best why not better enjoy it.

On a very personal level I enjoy my work. I enjoy dedicating my time and energy to what shapes my present and future. Yes along with it I also enjoy doing some things else. And my comment on my post set me thinking can I continue to do other things along with work and have a more satisfying day than just doing work.

All that was required was a little more planning and allocation of time. The result has been satisfying. I have practically been able to scribble my nonsense all through this week. I have caught up on my newspaper reading, my books, music, solitaire(I play it on my iPod on way to office), devote time to my research paper which is lying incomplete for sometime (I just started it and left it in between) and read my favourite pages on blogospheres. I have also caught up with long lost friends and have finally managed to complete a book that I had been reading for two months now. Yes a little less sleep but honestly I am not complaining.

10 comments:

Priya said...

Alok,

Work being a part of life, other things can be enjoyed as you said its al about time allocation and socializing out door activities during the weekends.

You need to divert in between to relax from your work and what you do is fine.

Janice Thomson said...

It's amazing the spare time we can find if we organize our lives better. What a great reminder Alok. Thank you for this.

I'm glad to see you posting often again. Your work always makes me plunge deeper in my thinking. Sometimes I even look the odd word up to make sure I have the right meaning too. I so enjoy coming here Alok...thank you for this too.

kalai said...

"All that was required was a little more planning and allocation of time. The result has been satisfying"

dis is what we r enjoying even if we dont have enough sleep... Take care of ur health buddy...

Keshi said...

We must all try to strike a perfect balance between work n play :)

Keshi.

Jeevan said...

Working with interest will gain and also enjoyable, than working hard without interest to put on stress. I like your positive decision to accepting all as every thing is a part of life.

Be happy for what you’re doing.

gP said...

always admire someone who knows what they are doing and are well prepared for that. You show the way that we can too love the job if we choose what we do best. And best of all u r my buddy. :)

take ur time, plan ur future, write what you love. everything will fall into place.

floots said...

i had to take early retirement when my voice packed up and now i do very lttle
i think it's what i do best :)
i agree with you
cheers

Alok said...

Pria: Thank u for ur words ... yes divertion from routine is all we need ...

-------------------------------------

Janice: I am simply overwhelmed by your words ..... you dont know how much this means to a me ... thanks a ton

-------------------------------------

Kalai: Thank you so much for such a lovely comment

------------------------------------

Keshi: thank u buddy .. yes its all abt balance

-------------------------------------

Jeevan: yes so true ... thank u buddy

------------------------------------

Siva [Ghost Particle]: Thanks a ton buddy for that ...

------------------------------------

Floots: I am sorry to hear that. I know you were a teacher ... the most respected profession in my eyes ... I want to retire and teach .. thats what I want to do at 40 ...

I admire ur positive approach towards life ... Thank you for that


Thank you guys

Take care

Alok

venuss66 said...

Time management isn't it? Take good care alok.

Alok said...

yes its all abt time management ... something tht is short all the time


Alok