Sunday, May 18, 2008

Messages from long lost friends are as scarce as friends themselves. My nonchalant ways with social networking sites doesn’t help either. Given the way people talk about social networking sites these days, I do feel ashamed to admit that I have an account each with two of the big players. I am a moderately active member of one of them and a sleeping partner (not exactly literally) of the other one which was a favour that I had bestowed upon someone, but I don’t remember exactly on whom; it must be some acquaintance or the social networking site itself whom I help generate large amounts of revenue from such an insignificant act of mine as clicking on the site's url.

Well, amidst profusion of no messages, when the mailbox suddenly shouted of a mail from a known acquaintance and an unknown friend, yours truly had no option but to be a little bemused. The insouciant state of being happy without a known friend was suddenly turned into an uncontrollable urge that practically compelled me to follow the link to the site and read what ever was on offer. The “Hi”, was almost bittersweet but the prospect of a reunion party for secondary school leaving batch of 1996 sounded very alluring. The date of-course was not. It was strategically chosen to be somewhere in the next month, which is an extremely busy month for a guy who works for Strategic Planning. Of-course, I accept that it’s more to do with my bad luck than their good fortunes of not seeing me there but then the invitation did set the wheels of school memories rolling. My courteous ‘Hi’ to his message was followed by an enquiry of certain teachers whom I have admired and adored through out my life. One such teacher has been Ms Koyeli Ghosh.

Koyeli Ghosh joined us in the summer of 1994 as our class teacher. She was a phenomenon. She was nothing like what we had seen in all these years. Teachers to us had a very ‘different’ personality. They were like the big wall clock of ebony in front of the main doorway, whose pendulum would swing with a purpose of defining time in a loud, dull and monotonous way. She was different. She had an outlandish air about her, not with her clothes, but with her entire persona that was so “non-teacher” like. She was assigned the task of teaching English Literature. She still teaches English there.

She must have been in her early thirties when she joined us. Graduated from Oxford, we thought she had no business teaching at such a small school as ours. For many months after she had joined, we were still debating (read more as gossiping) as to why she decided to teach us rather than at a college level and do far better for herself. Money was of-course not a criterion because she was presumably a millionaire in those days. We finally gave up but only after having gone through rounds of unfruitful but necessary discussions and debates. Talking in hindsight the job gave her enough flexibility to be occupied, to teach and as well as spend considerable amount of time with her seven year old son, especially when her husband had a job that required extensive traveling.

It was then no surprise that my predilection for her teaching or otherwise would put no restrain on ensuring that I get enough sun tan in a class already filled with luminous stars quite near to the earth than those in the galaxy. The positive vibrations were extremely important if I were to do well in the subject matter of her choice but my preference now. The only danger lay in her liking someone else and any effort was required to ensure that she looked straight at me rather than beveled through the edges of her table. But after sometime it simply didn’t seem to matter.

Her extensive taste in good books, life and music was something extremely endearing and enriching for the students. Her anecdotes, references, allusions, interpretation and descriptions were collected diligently and cherished by yours truly almost like a philatelist. I still remember the first poem that she taught us was D.H.Lawrence’s “Snake”. A life long journey of love for reading, understanding and interpreting poetry had worn its Adidas boots that day. I remember her telling me once, reading poetry is an art, different from writing; one who reads poetry well doesn’t necessarily write good poetry and vice versa. Well she was responsible for making Shakespeare fun and ensuing that we read and discussed him without notes. She explained the importance of translations in one of the most outstanding ways that I remember, by making us translate Rabindranath Tagore’s Bengali poems into English and then reading to us his own translations from "Geetanjali". 'Translation is not translating one word from one language to another verbatim; understand the meaning and translate the meaning to achieve the desired effect, if that is to be ever achieved'. We of-course kicked ourselves in our endeavours and realised why he was the Nobel Laureate and we were studying him. The best aspect of her teaching was going beyond what was written as texts in the books. This might sound clichéd but believe me you must, that this is the most difficult thing to achieve as a teacher.

I was able to build across a sense of camaraderie with her but then that was not as exclusive as I would have liked it to be. She had grown to be one of the favourite teachers of all students irrespective of how they fared in the subject. And that didn’t bother me anymore. She knew exactly how to divide attention to each and everyone of us equally. No more careful walking on stilettos was required because there didn’t exist a desire to have her full attention anymore (or for that matter the fear of falling out of her graces one day) and yet be quaintly happy everytime she called out in her charmingly brusque tone -“Jha”. Yes, “Jha” is what she used to call me instead of “Alok”. The archipelago of memories is what binds me to her even today and I am grateful to that message for letting me remember her in the recesses of a Sunday morning.

16 comments:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I had a teacher like that, too. She was my English teacher in high school. Much older, though, and is still alive. She's one of the people that I dedicated my book to. I found out where she lives now and went to give her a copy of the book. She hadn't changed a bit.
I hope you find a way to go to the reunion.

Keshi said...

wow Alok first time I've seen a post like this here and it's refreshing :)

I had a teacher like that in my life too..she's still alive and I got in touch with her thru email. She was not well but was so happy to hear from me and to hear abt my studies n career in Aus. She was absolutely stunned.


I hope u get to go to the reunion.


Keshi.

Casperbaba said...

alok... brother... this was simply amazin' u literally "dragged" me back to my high school memories... u kno i was one of the most "hated" (acadmics) and the most "loved" (for everythin xcept acadmics) by my teachers. i was fortunate to have some teachers who loved me to death nd made sure they made my life miserable. but u kno wat i realise the importance now. i had 3 of such teacher with whom i shared the similar kinda repo. i m still inn touch with one of em' my arts (drawing wala) :) teacher... he still calls me "nauttanki" coz thats wat i have always been. readin ur post has evoked a strong desire of gettin in touch with the other two.
thank you so much for this post brother... like usual loved it!

Jyoti said...

it shows you must be a good student.:)

why dont you try out different layout and fonts to make your blog more expressive.

Anonymous said...

Alok,

That is one of the best things to happen after so many years. When I lost in touch with my school friends for years, I finally found them and we go back to early days of from kindergarden to all what not sweet memories. When I visit India, my visit is sure to go to
school back tho'.

-Pria

gP said...

and what a blast from the past it is :)

I always believed a great life begins with a great teacher. whoever they are, wherever they come from, when you cross paths with a great teacher, then a part of your life is complete.

the impressions build a world, new and bold for inspiring others, thats how they leave a mark, so we can leave our marks. life is after all continuity. and legends are those who make it happen so.

u know something? now I realize how important it is that your posts are untitled, because they are majestic literature from the heart, unforced. it should not be confined to a title. :)

Jeeves said...

No wonder you write such good poetry.Packed with memories, this is a nice post

Janice Thomson said...

What a wonderful tribute to a teacher who made such a difference in your life. This was a joy to read Alok. I think all of us have memories of one special teacher. Hopefully it will work out that you are able to attend the reunion. I really enjoyed this post.

Miladysa said...

A wonderful tribute to a special teacher and a delight to read Alok [why am I tempted to call you Jha? lol]

Teachers are often undervalued and yet they have such an influence on the young. Their enthusiasm can make or break us in many respects.

My special teacher was named Ms Whitehead, she was young and trendy and her passion was infectious. :-D

Nimmy said...

:-) Liked reading this post, Alok Wordsworth. Reminds me of some of my own teachers....really....teachers can change lives!!
Nimmy :)

Alok said...

Andrew: It was a very noble gesture from you. I am sure she would have appreciated. I try and visit my schools and teachers whenever I am in Calcutta. I doubt whether i will be able to go to the reunion becoz getting leave at this point of time in the year is a little difficult proposition. lets c. thnx for sharing your thoughts

------------------------------------------

Keshi: You can find 10 or 15 similar posts on this blog :)

It was so sweet of you to get in touch with ur teacher ... I am sure she must have felt very proud

.... as to the reunion... well lets c ... thanx mate

------------------------------------------
Casperbaba: let me know how you fared with your search .... nautanki ... hmmm that means school life must have been fun-filled, brimming with life and energy ... something surely to be missed ... thanx mate for sharing

------------------------------------------

Jyoti: Nah! I was a bad student :)

as for the template and layout ... I would have preferred a totally blank (white) template .. and the templates that are available don't let me change the font to verdana ... and i can't have any other font other than tht :) moreover this template has stuck with me since beginning .. i m far more comfortable with it now .. but if u have some good suggestions let me know :) thanx again

-----------------------------------------

Priya: I dunno whether tht's the best thing tht has happened to me in recent times, but you should surely visit your school once u visit india ... believe me it is a different feeling altogether ... thanx buddy

-----------------------------------------
Siva: The thoughts that you espouse are to be treasured ... what ever and I mean whatever lil I am today, I owe it to my family and each and every teacher of mine ... I treasure their contribution to my life and their memories ...

and as for the title I do not title the posts coz it's difficult for me to find a title for them :)

you r too kind with your words bro ... I surely don't deserve them ... but honestly it does make me feel good ... but then that is undeservedly so :) thanks a lot

------------------------------------------

Jeevs: That phase of infatuation surely made me read more :) ... as far as poetry goes .. I guess you guys are very kind to me ... thanks for your words

------------------------------------------

Janice: I am delighted that you enjoyed reading it .. it was a tad bit too long and then I was thinking it was too personal ... but once posted can't take it back :)) thanks a lot for reading it and your kind words

-----------------------------------------

Miladysa: you can call me Jha .... though it sounds a little formal but if used without Mr. as KG used to do, it has that extra personal touch to it as well :)) so I never mind :)

yes the teacher's enthusiasm is extremely important ... it shapes how a student takes to a particular subject ... again teacher's outlook also helps shape a child's attitude ... so they have a very big responsibility on their shoulders ...

I am so glad you enjoyed reading this ... thanks again

------------------------------------------

Nimmy: So long ... I am so glad to see you here ... thanks a lot for dropping by and taking your time to read this rather long post ... i will hop over to ur site now .. thanks again


Alok

Jeevan said...

It gets me back thinking about my teachers, as my English teacher comes to mind reading. She is one encourages the creative writing instead of doing what written on books and explains orally to make understand like it was listening story telling.

It was worth reading the respect and prosperity being student of her. It’s too good you where invited for meeting ur memories and without chance to participate. My Best wishes alok :)

venuss66 said...

Hi alok, i think this is the first time I am reading a very long post from you. Very interesting. Very special indeed.Hope your wishes will come true.
Take good care my friend.

delhidreams said...

ah
although a fair share of good teachers and schol memories, i really wish i'd like her
still bungling with my attempted translations u know ;)
loved the post

Anonymous said...

casperbaba has dropped a dedication for you. come check it.

iamnasra said...

Its been awhile ..hope you are well