Saturday, January 5, 2008

In the midst of glory
I was plodding around;
Came to a hut, dilapidated & round;
Lay a woman with rags on.

Her two children
Shoved in a corner,
A paper hiding
The naked body of theirs;
The empty house ----
With nothing around
But the emaciated mother
And the sick children's frown.

Tears floating down her cheeks,
Her body shuddering,
A picture of desperation ---
A picture of frustration ---
Fighting with the world and herself
She being defeated once and again.

I asked her who she was
I asked her why she was here
I asked her how she reached here
Bearing an unbearable silence, she answered none.

An unending pause, --- disturbed
Said she ----"Who am I, know I not
I have no work, no food to eat
Burnt in my mind are events past
My children like beggars
But we are not beggars.

I promised her food
But she refused
She wanted work
That I had none ---
And I came out,
My self respect bowing in front,
My helplessness coming in front
"Oh! God where have I come?"


Who doesn’t like numbers and numbers especially when they quantify a journey. The last post was my 100th poem (read more as scribbles) on this blog. This is a poem (a repost) that I had written almost 10 years back for my school magazine. The date in my diary reads Jun 14, 1997.

I generally do not read my writings over and over again. I actually lose track of them after a few days but I have read and reread this poem several times over these years. It has a sense of helplessness in it that questions my sensibilities when going gets wrong … especially making me appreciate other’s sensitivity … making me aware that there are less privileged people than me but by no means lesser in self respect …. and at the cost of not going overboard making me understand what being humane is all about … I thought it is a good time to revisit the poem.

And lastly a thank you note to all of you who have taken out your time from your daily schedule to read me … thank you all

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing poem... it reminds me of the image of strvation and it also reminds me of all children I saw in Tanzania.. faces of children taken by cancer ...

Thank you for sharing.. this is remind when a humen climbs on peek of his glory..he still remains a frgile human infornt of the power of his creator and destiney

Its you Im grateful to as you make me continue to go on with a mission that I started a never saw it to end

Nasra

Janice Thomson said...

You have a deeply compassionate soul Alok. There are many who do not see or ignore the human misery around them. It is not in our power to change the whole world but it is in our power to help those nearest to us even if it is but a smile to brighten their day or encouragement for a job well done or a tray of baked cookies. In this way we can lessen the feeling of helplessness. Your poem is an excellent reminder to be so greatly thankful for what we have - there is always someone out there who has it worse.

aria said...

Profound is the word .. can't think of anything else .. the subject is so touching that rest becomes secondary. Its nice to leaf through old scribblings sometimes .. just for a hang of how we 'scribbled' then .. I try doing it sometimes ..
Great to know that you've completed 100 poems . .wow .. the best part about your poety is the whole gamut of subjects.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I always love to take the times to read your work! It's always so interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

This is just too good...we can really feel the emotions & the subtility in the words & it is so moving...It really made me thoughtful for a few moments....very nice!

Alok said...

Nasra: I am touched by your kindness .... truly appreciated .. thank u

--------------------------------------

Janice: What can I say .. humbled and honoured by ur words .. thanks a ton

---------------------------------------

Aria: thank u so much for those lovely words .. overwhelmed ... thanks again

----------------------------------------

Andrew: many many thanks as always

----------------------------------------

Kalyan: Most Kinds .. thanks a ton for ur words


Thanks guys

Alok

Priya said...

Congrats on your 100th poem!!!

You have very well visualized the pain and her journey of her life.

floots said...

and all the more pertinent having just been watching the news about kenya
thank you

gP said...

u r a natural talent. a very deep poem...the visual life and how you narrated it. life goes on.

congratulation on the milestone(s) bro.

Jeevan said...

We have so many like her around, without helpless we. Even in poverty they are not ready to leave there respect. That’s great and must be! It show the very kind and good memorable about you, bringing back memories of ur past to present about there life and your emotions.

Congrats buddy :)

Alok said...

Pria: thanks so much

--------------------------------------

Floots: thanks for dropping by even when u r on a vacation :)

---------------------------------------

Siva [Ghost Particle]: thanks bro ... u r too kind for someone as undeserving as me .. most kind ...

---------------------------------------

Jeevan : my friend.. thanks a ton for ur kind words ... thanks again


Thank u guys .. truly appreciated


Alok

Miladysa said...

A wonderful and touching poem. I can understand why you return to it.

Congratulations on reaching your 100th poem and beyond.